Monday, September 9, 2013

Books!

No book review today. Instead I'm just going to ramble a bit.


______________________________________________________

Today I was reading a book for class about the history of Christian spiritual disciplines. The author was listing off person after person after person who had written books during the early Christian period, probably up to 4 or 5 AD. I had heard of almost none of them (except Augustine), and I was just so overwhelmed at how many books must exist in the world, in so many languages and from so many times. That is both the blessing and the curse of reading: the ability to read what was left behind by people from other places and times, but also the knowledge that it is impossible to read it all, impossible to read even a decent chunk of it.

Perhaps that is why I read so many different types of books, from so many different times. I do not want to limit myself to one time or place or person or genre. There are so many possibilities!



It's also a sobering thought. I could spend every second of my life reading and never read nearly as much as I'd like to. There would still be so much that I hadn't read! However much I try to discover and experience, there will always be more. It's both exciting and sobering.

What's truly exhilarating, however, is the fact that God knows what's in every book, because He was there when it was being written. He is infinite, He is everywhere, He is amazing and awesome and all-knowing, and it's days like this that I love Him in ways that I can't explain or describe.

No comments:

Post a Comment