Monday, November 18, 2013

Inkdeath

Book: Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke (Inkheart trilogy)

Description: The final book in the Inkheart Trilogy, Inkdeath describes Mo's continuing struggle to survive in the Inkworld. The Adderhead is trapped in a painful life because of the magical life-bringing book that Mo made him; Orpheus is becoming rich by using his talented tongue for others; Fenoglio has given up on life in despair; Farid is serving Orpheus in the hope that he will give him his heart's desire; and Mo, Resa, and Meggie live in the forest with the Black Prince and other outlaws as Mo continues to act as the Bluejay.

My Thoughts: As always, Funke writes masterfully. Her descriptions, especially of emotions, are beautiful and gripping. She successfully weaves together many different stories in a way that is not at all confusing (even I didn't have trouble keeping the storylines apart, and I'm awful at names); instead, the different storylines heighten the suspense and allow her to explore many different characters and settings at once.

Inkheart had a lot of elements that I felt reflected back on Christianity in some ways. All three books of the trilogy of full of characters who repeatedly try to force life to turn out how they think it should go, and these attempts always end miserably for them and for those around them. I was intrigued by the theme of authorship throughout Inkheart especially, where the story becomes dark and out-of-control without a good author to guide it in the right direction (I was, however, extremely unhappy with Funke's choice of Author).

All the characters were fully fleshed out and felt real to me, but in the end that was one of the reasons I didn't hugely enjoy Inkheart. Everyone seemed stuck in their old habits, and simply made the same bad choices over and over and over and never seemed to learn. Realistic, perhaps, but also depressing and difficult to read.

One of the few books I've read this year that I didn't particularly like. I'll admit that I read it mostly out of loyalty to the first book, Inkheart (which, by the way, is amazing!), and to Dustfinger. Inkdeath was thought-provoking but extremely difficult to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment